Quick Sourdough Bread Toppings
Now that you know how to identify good sourdough bread, we’re going to show you how to take your toast from drab to fab. The secret is to pair your toast with yummy sourdough bread toppings. While jam and butter are classics, don’t be limited by them. Try out our Chef’s approved sourdough bread toppings to give your regular toast a delectable twist.
Avocado Toast with a Twist#AvocadoToast isn’t only for millennials. Make your own version of this trendy food item by following the below recipe:
- De-seed one whole avocado and smash it to a pulp.
- Next, slice a ripe tomato and shred a few fresh basil leaves.
- Apply butter on two slices of sourdough bread and toast them till they acquire a golden-brown colour.
- Apply a generous amount of your avocado pulp on the toast, then layer on the slices of tomato. Drizzle on some balsamic vinegar for extra flavour and garnish with the chopped basil leaves, salt and pepper.
Simple BruschettaCherry tomatoes are cute to look at and great to work with. They are slightly crunchier than normal tomatoes and have more tartness. They make for versatile sourdough bread toppings because they pair well with many ingredients.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic and quarter 8-10 cherry tomatoes.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan and add the minced garlic. Sautee till the garlic turns golden brown
- In a deep bowl, add extra virgin olive oil and the chopped tomatoes. Gently smash the tomatoes in the oil till they form a chunky pulp.
- Pour in the fried garlic and oil
- Add chopped basil leaves, salt and a scrunch of pepper. Combine all the ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture on toasted slices of sourdough bread
You could also fry the tomatoes in olive oil if you want them to be softer. If you want some cheesiness, layer a thick slice of mozzarella cheese over the topping and place in a microwave or oven to melt. Enjoy your cheesy bruschetta!
Get Fruity with It
- Make a nut butter-banana topping by spreading your favourite nut or seed butter onto a slice of toasted sourdough bread. Add on some slices of fresh banana and chopped blueberries to make a tasty, nutritious topping.
- To make another berry-full topping, apply Greek Yogurt on a slice of toasted sourdough bread. Add a generous helping of chopped fresh strawberries and blueberries and enjoy your fruity toast!
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic, slice a lemon in half and peel and de-vein 8-10 prawns.
- Heat a generous dollop of butter in a frying pan.
- Toss in the minced garlic and sautee till it turns golden brown.
- Add in the prawns. Add pepper and salt to taste and squeeze in the juice of half a lime.
- Once the prawns have cooked, take the mixture off the pan.
- Add the mixture on a slice of toasted sourdough bread. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm.
When it comes to sourdough toast toppings, the sky is the only known limit. So, mix and match, try and test till you find toppings that hit the spot for you.
Looking for high-quality sourdough bread? Shop Theobroma’s wheat sourdough loaf. This mildly sour loaf has a crispy crust and a bubbly, chewy inside. Our sourdough is made over 48 hours, with an entirely natural starter and whole wheat. It’s high in nutrition and great for your gut, so shop it now!